Tech Tip: Duck Duck Go

I decided to do this tech tip this week because I actually have used this application recently. We are taking a family road trip to Cascade, ID next summer for a family reunion and then are continuing on with just our little family. We were trying to figure out the best route to take, places to stay and things to do in the places we chose to stop for the night.

The first thing I noticed is the layout. Usually when using Google, it shows a few picture options with your search, a bunch of add websites at the top and then once you scroll down, it gets to the meat and potatoes of what you are searching for. With DuckDuckGo, there were a few links at the top of the page that took you to another page, but your search pretty much started at the top. It was simple to use and had a similar format to Google.

The images didn't really look any different than what Google shows. Or at least not anything that I noticed.

The one disadvantage that I saw was that it doesn't have a mapping tool like Google. If I wanted to get directions from one place to another or figure out how long it was going to take, I still used Google for this. GoogleMaps is a great tool that I use to plan all of our trips.

However, once I found a place I was looking for, I then went back to DuckDuckGo to try and find a hotel or things to do.

I do like that they don't sell your information to companies and I also like that there aren't a million adds on the front of the page to confuse you or get clicks by mistake because you think it's something else. I also like that you can't pay your way to the top of the page. They may do it by most popular search, but I know that some search engines put your stuff at the top if you pay to be there.

Overall, I think there is merit to this search engine. However, I'm still a fan of Google. They have so many different applications and they all interconnect that it makes it easy to hop from one to the other. If DuckDuckGo wasn't installed as the primary search engine on both my husband and son's computers, I'd probably never use it.

Comments

  1. Wow! This is actually a really cool find! Im gonna have to try that out, thats almost as genius as when the created the app that tells your where a good bathroom is on the way. They rate bathrooms and give you a good idea if its clean or not before you stop. Technology is great right? Awesome find. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul