Learning Challenge: What I'm Thankful For

I know I said I was going to do the thankful jar challenge for my last one, but that didn't work out as planned. I had so much going on the last two weeks that I didn't get an opportunity to write something down each day. However, I can tell you a few things that I became instantly thankful for over the last couple weeks that I think I take for granted.

1. My husband. I know that I should be thankful for him each day, but this last week it has been apparent even more so. These last two weeks I have been cramming in work and homework more than I have in a long time and unfortunately that meant it didn't leave a lot of time for family. He has been amazing these last two weeks! He has cleaned more than his share, watched the kids and kept them out of my hair so that I could study and he has cooked for me and told me to take breaks when he could tell that I was getting frustrated.

2. My son Sebastian. He has been such a trooper this semester with me. He struggled with getting his homework done this semester as well, but made a commitment to get better and do well. He has really stepped up and been super mature this semester. He was tasked with riding the bus to school for the first year. This made me nervous since he would have to get himself up in the morning, get dressed, pack his lunch, take care of the dog, set the alarm, lock the door and make it to the bus stop all on his own. I wasn't sure if he could do it. But not ONCE has his missed any of those tasks. Not once have I gotten a call from the school that he wasn't there on time. He is such a dang good kid and I'm so lucky I get to be his mom!

3. My sister. The week of Thanksgiving was, of course, drama filled. You can't have a family function without a little drama, right? She has been supportive of my decision to stay home this year and not go to the family functions. She understands my need to just spend time with my little family pod and not travel this year. She was my buffer for upset family members because they wouldn't get to see me this year for the holidays. She gave me a hug and told me everything would be ok. She even reached out to just go grab some coffee one day with the two littles and catch up on life and how things are going. She is my best friend and the one I can count on. I wore leggings and a tshirt and sneakers to our outting and I'm sure my hair was a hot mess. She loved me anyways and told me I looked beautiful as always and she didn't care if I smelled funny or not. It was amazing to get to catch up with her for several hours and not feel the pressure my other family has been putting on me to quit my job, drop everything and come see them all the time.

4. My other best friend. This year has been one of the hardest years I've had to face in my life up to this point. With promotions, hiring processes, interviews, having another kid, school and work, it's been a bit overwhelming. My best friend has been there by my side no matter what. He has talked me off several ledges when i thought I couldn't keep going or when I thought I wasn't good enough for a promotion. He has been supportive since day one of my need to climb the ladder in my organization. Always giving me a pep talk at 2am when I'm anxious and can't sleep the night before an interview. When I bombed an interview he was encouraging and told me that if I did bad, everyone else would have too. When I feel like I'm a bad mom, he reminds me how much my kids love me and how great I am with them. Even in the little things I show I love them. Without his support, I may very well have gone crazy this year!

Although I didn't come up with 7 things that I'm thankful for, I have a really solid list. Without these 4 people, and i'm sure more that I didn't mention, I wouldn't have made it through. They are my support system, my best friends and the people I love most on the planet. I know that I've said all semester that family is the most important thing to me and I really do mean it. I could care less about my job, my car, my house....all those things don't mean a damn thing if these people aren't there to share it with me. I'm very lucky to have each and every one of them in my life.


Title: Family









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul