Week 7 Story: Peace in the Flames



Edit: I have added this story to my portfolio. If you'd like to look at it in a different format, follow this Link!


The moon sat high in the sky. I remember how it bathed the muddy streets in an eerie pale-yellow hue. It’s finger like rays crept into the windows of the houses that dared to leave the shutters ajar. The howling of the wind sent a shiver down my spine. A chill settled deep in my bones and I couldn’t shake the feeling we were being watched.

Sleep escaped me that night. I had been on edge for weeks. Waiting. Watching. It was not safe to stay in one place and I felt we had worn out our welcome here. It was time to move on and find another safe haven. Nazi controlled Germany had invaded Poland and forced us to seek refuge at the House of Varanavata. Its walls were vast and the space inside seemed endless. It was furnished with the finest items money could buy. Under any other circumstance, we would have been welcome guests. We would have lavished in the wealth and hospitality of our new-found friends. But these last two weeks were anything but normal and I couldn’t quiet my thoughts that something was off.

We were relegated to the basement to keep up appearances. Should we be caught on premise, we would surely be sent to Dachau; our host shot for treason. Every night I watched the street above, praying to the heavens that we would be safe.

I followed the path the moonlight traced in the dark and gazed upon a peacefully sleeping child. Her breaths were quiet and even. I tiptoed around her silently; I didn’t want to wake her from the peace she found in her dreams. There would be time enough for that later. I looked around the room and took solace in the knowledge that they were alive. My mother and brothers.  

Vidura, our father’s brother, had warned us there were troops moving South. Although the others didn’t heed his warnings, I couldn’t get my brain to quiet the need to escape. I needed a plan. I was deep in thought when I first heard the sound. My heart stopped and all my senses were heightened. For what seemed like an eternity, I sat motionless and ceased to draw a breath. I began to believe I had imagined it when I heard it again. The light crunch of snow under boots. It was right outside the window! I crept closer and heard whispers and that’s when I knew; we had been betrayed.

The four young blonde German boys stood at the doorway to the house above. They greeted our so-called hosts with pleasantries. We had to get out! Now! I woke them quietly and urged them to keep silent. I unlatched the door and sent up a silent prayer it didn’t squeak as it opened. One by one, we climbed out the window and left behind the place we thought was safe. We crouched behind anything that would provide cover and slowly and silently picked our way to the edge of the street. There we sought cover from the trees. Not knowing what lie in wait in the dark woods, we were afraid to go any further. We sat frozen in fear. Waiting. Watching.

Unbeknownst to us, Vidura had been staying a few houses down the row. He too paced nightly and caught a glimpse of our party as we fled for safety. He approached with caution and embraced each of us with hollow relief. We could not celebrate our reunion and had to come to terms with the reality this might be our last encounter. Once he said his quick goodbyes, he zigzagged down the street under the cover of the clouds.

The air began to crackle and had an acrid smell. A red glow began small and grew to reach up to the heavens. Confusion overtook me and I didn’t understand why the house we had just left was burning to the ground piece by piece. I was under the impression our host had entrapped us to be there when they called the Germans to collect.

Vidura had come running back with news that he had avenged our family. He had set flame to the very house we watched crumble. I felt sick to my stomach. My emotions ranged from relief to horror. What had he done?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

The next morning, I woke with a stiffness that crippled my body. It was the first time I had really slept for as long as I could remember.  I had dreamt of simpler times. When the world was not filled with the hatred and evil it now did. When meals were had at tables with families gathered around and children were able to play freely in the street without regard. And then the reality of last night came rushing back.

Rumors quickly made it back to them that the family that was hosting them was in fact kinsman to a Nazi soldier. They had lured them in with the guise they would protect them. Vidura had burned them as revenge for their betrayal. We then learned news that took my breath from my lungs. There was another family, just like ours, in another room in the house. They had not escaped and been burned alongside the traitors. My heart wept for them and I pray to a mighty God of mercy that he forgive our terrible sins.

And then another rumor reached my ears. More German troops had arrived to sort through the rubble and when the bodies of the other family were found, the men sent to find us left! They had assumed we had been burned in the fire and thus their search was over. Blessed be the God in heaven that protected us from our captures.

I brought the news to my mother, Kunti, and my four brothers. We were alive and safe from pursuit for the time being. A veil of peace came over their faces. I could see them visibly relax as the news sunk in. For now, we were going to be okay.

Author’s note: The House of Fire. This version was found in Indian Heroes by C.A. Kincaid.

The queen and her children came to the palace of lac. The house was soaked in oil and ready to burn. Vidura warned them of this and begged them to dig an underground tunnel so that they may escape. When they dug the tunnel, Vidura returned to seek revenge on the guards. He burnt the guard shack, but little did he know that there was a woman and her children there to beg for food. The next morning when they village awoke to a smoldering palace, they assumed the bodies they found were Queen Kunti and her children and they wept for their loss. The evil price rejoiced in their destruction. I really liked this idea and thought it would be an interesting take to set this during WWII during the German occupation.
Image Source: Night Fire



Comments

  1. Hi, Sarah! I really love your attention to detail. The descriptive details of the setting at the beginning of the story really help suck the reader into the story. I also really appreciated your choice of setting. Setting the piece in Poland during the reign of Nazi Germany really gave the reader a sense of the fear that the Pandavas would have felt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! I think using that story for a Nazi occupation was a great idea. I really wasn't expecting that ending but when I read it I knew exactly what story you had used. Even though the story was on the longer side you kept me interested the whole time. I also think the title "peace in the flames" is very fitting and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah!
    Wow, this was an amazing story. I felt like this was a true story while reading it. I loved the imagery in your opening paragraph because it really set the tone for the entire story. Connecting the story from the Mahabharata to a recent historical even made this story even more powerful. My favorite line was “I didn’t want to wake her from the peace she found in her dreams.” This was a very poetic moment and beautifully written. Your story was so realistic it gave me chills, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! I was going through your blog and noticed this story and wanted to read more. I think you did a really great job with this. I think the whole story was entertaining to read and kept me wanting to read more, especially with the ending that I did not expect! I think your use of detail in every story is great and allows the reader to really visualize what is going on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul