Reading Notes: More Jataka Tales Part B


For this reading assignment, I read part B of the More Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt. Again, I like these versions of the stories because they are stripped down to their simplest form so they are easily translated and understandable.
The first story that I read that caught my eye was The Foolhardy Wolf. This is a story about a wolf that begs a lion to be his servant. The deal is that the wolf has to scope out the food each morning and tell the lion. The lion will kill the food and then share it with the wolf. The wolf gets the idea after a while that he is strong enough to kill an elephant by himself. He convinces the lion that he is capable of doing this. Knowing that it won’t turn out well, the lion plays along with the wolf’s plan. One morning the lion sees an elephant and tells the wolf about it. The wolf misses his mark and falls down and is crushed to death by the elephant. This story instantly brought up scenes from The Lion King. I could see a hyena trying to convince Scar that he is strong enough to kill the prey and failing. Or even adapting the story and having Mufasa do this with a hyena.

You can find the link to this story here!

The last story in this set is The Elephant and the Dog. I thought this story was cute and about friendship. A dog goes into the elephant’s stable every day and they do everything together. They eat together, nap together and play together. The dog is sold by the elephant keeper and is taken elsewhere. The elephant becomes depressed and doesn’t eat or bathe anymore. The king wants to know what is wrong with his elephant and when his servants find out that the elephant is sad without his friend, he orders the dog to be released. The farmer who bought the dog lets him go. The dog returns to the elephant and they live happily ever after as friends. I feel like this is the exact plot of Toy Story! This could be a fun way to tell this story.

You can find the link to this story here!

Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
Title: Toy Story

I thought this would be a cute picture to include. I love love love Toy Story. I think the last story in this set would be easily retold. So that's why I included this picture. If I were to write a story about it though, I'd want to be more creative with the pictures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul