Reading Notes: Part 2 of Mahatbharata Part A

After reading the rest of part A of the Mahatbharata, there really wasn’t anything that just grabbed my attention. It talked about the son’s and wives of Pandu. How they were all trained together to be great warriors and how they were jealous of each other. They went off to fight a battle and the most jealous of them all lost the battle.

The story that stuck with me the most out of all the stories in part A is still the one about the woman that had to give up her baby out of shame and then a woman down river found the child. She had been praying for a child to come and this was her chance. This really reminds me of The Prince of Egypt animated film. I watched this movie as a child I don’t know how many times. The stories are similar in that a woman puts her baby in a basket and into the sea. She is unable to keep her child. The child then is found by a woman as the basket floats in the water. In the Prince of Egypt this child is taken in by a royal family. This version of the story is also based off a biblical tale rather than an Indian Epic. However, I’m curious if there is any truth to either story or if they took aspects of each other’s stories to make their own.

As far as making this my own story, I think I would want to find a way to make it fit more into modern times. If I really wanted to think outside the box, I could do it as if it were in space! Or on another planet and the child was raised by Aliens. Or I could do something simple and tell the story like in Elf. Where the child is found and raised by someone who is clearly not their child. There are lots of fun options to rewrite this particular epic though. I will need to brainstorm some ideas to come up with a post long enough to tell a story that is worth reading.

Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie

Title: Pharaoh
Source: Wikipedia
I chose this picture because the Prince of Egypt was based off a child that became a Pharaoh in Egypt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul