Feedback Thoughts

This assignment was about feedback. I thought it was interesting that it brought up positive and negative feedback and how to deal with both. I think feedback is something that we all deal with no matter where we are. At work, at school and even at home. And I will agree, most of the time it's easier to focus on the negative aspects of it and push aside all the positive things that have been said. Although feedback is spotty across the board for my academic career, it is something I have to face EVERYDAY at work. Being a supervisor, it is my responsibility to provide feedback constantly. Some of these articles really got me thinking about how I could improve that process in the scope of duties as a supervisor.

Of the articles I read, there were a couple that really resonated with me. The first one, Silence Critical Voices in Your Head, talked about our tendency to only focus on the negative. Even if we receive ten positive comments, our brain relives the one negative. The article went on to talk about how we should have a large ratio of good to bad. For every negative, we should focus on five positive. While I feel this is easier said than done, this is a really good concept to practice. One thing I have noticed about myself is that I tend to really focus on the negative. I'm pretty critical of myself and it's hard for me to believe people when they provide positive feedback. I'm suspicious of their intentions. However, I have also noticed that if I let myself "enjoy" the positive feedback, it drastically changes my mood, work performance and interactions with others. I actively try to stay as positive as possible when at work because it really changes how my day goes. Each morning we have a fifteen minute lineup before our shift starts. This time is when I provide general feedback, pass along information and go over changes in policies or practices. Because I have to be to work at 0530 in the morning, it is SOOOOOO easy to be grouchy (I'm not a morning person!) and my employees are the same way. I have challenged them to focus on positive aspects of the feedback or provide one good thing that happened the day before. While it's a struggle some days to think of something good that happened, it at least starts us off on the right foot for that day. While I think there are benefits to negative feedback as well, I think that trying to stay focused on the positive is essential to better performance. Everyone is scared to come to my office because they automatically think the conversation is going to be negative. I really want to try to get employees in there more to just have conversations about anything. Good or bad. Provide them with positive feedback on the things they did well to encourage them to keep doing those things. 

The second article that I really enjoyed was, Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback. This article talks about changing the way we see negative feedback. The biggest thing I took from this article though was how to give negative feedback. Again, I relate this back to work and how I have to give negative feedback almost on a daily basis. And I will admit that I try to give the "compliment sandwich" to make it easier to swallow. I try to point out things that the employees do well, tell them the bad news and then wrap it up with something else they do well. This article says not to do that. Just say what you have to say, be honest about it and come up with a plan to improve in whatever area you're being given feedback in. I think this is an interesting approach. I think when I receive feedback, I would like it delivered this way. That way I'm clear as to exactly what the conversation is about, I don't get lost in the sugarcoating of things, and I can make a plan to improve. However, as the person who has to deliver the feedback, it's easier said than done. It's hard to look someone in the eyes and tell them they did something wrong. Even though it's my job, it's tough! I think I dislike the conversations more than the people being told they did something wrong. But I think part of being a good leader should be able to have these conversations so they can help people be the best versions of themselves.

Overall, I think this assignment has been the most helpful to me thus far. Maybe not on an academic level, but definitely something I can apply to my real life. That's the fun part about going to school later on in life, you can focus on something you can take away from each class, even if it's not directly related to your degree, and apply it to your life. For me, it's not about just getting through a class to check a box for a degree requirement, it's about getting my money's worth and learning a skill that will stay with me for life. 

Title: Positive Pug
Source: Own work, meme created on phone
P.S. I think all my growth mindset pictures will be of my pug this semester! If there are feedback cats, then why not have a feedback pug too!??!

Comments

  1. Just a quick note to say thank you for this, Sarah: I saw the Positive Pug pop up in the blog stream and thought that was so cute, so of course I had to stop and read the post, and it really made my day: one of the main reasons I went to this no-grades-all-feedback approach in my classes is because learning about feedback really is useful. Grades are a school thing, but feedback is for any kind of learning anywhere, including at work. I really hope the feedback materials we use for class will be useful to you that way... and yes yes yes to a semester of pug memes. Such a cutie! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul