Week 2 Reading Overview/Extra Credit Reading Notes

***** I completed this assignment well past the due date...however, I felt like I should still complete it since it's going to be setting up the rest of the assignments for the semester. I just got a little behind this week trying to figure out a routine and completely missed this assignment.



Now to the actual assignment.......

I chose the Narayan version of The Ramayana. I know this sounds silly, but the only deciding factor that played a part in why I chose this one is because it came in a paperback option. I REALLY enjoy the feeling of the pages and the smell of a book. I love reading but don't get to do much of it because I have zero free time, so if I have the option to read a "textbook" that looks more like a book, then I'm all about it. I also have a hard time reading things on the computer. I don't think it gives quite the same feel as turning the pages. So that's why I chose this version of the epic.

After reviewing the videos and comic books, I've come to the realization that, 1). American comic books are vastly different in pretty much every way. I found that interest. 2). no matter the topic, country of origin, or artistic style....I'm still not a comic book fan. I know for some that blasphemy, but I just can't do it! However, I did find the YouTube videos very interesting. It was hard to pick just two that I found interesting. I will say that the one I enjoyed the most, Ancient Technology - Atlantis and India, had some really interesting ideas. It connected the ancient city of Atlantis to tales from India and pointed out that some of the tales could possibly be considered as facts. It had a bit of a conspiracy feel to it and I'm always a sucker for a good conspiracy theory. I also enjoyed the style of the video where they draw as they narrate. It doesn't add much to the actual content of the video, but I feel those types of video grab my attention and that's all I focus on while it's playing. The second video I liked, Hindu Creation Stories, was very informational to me. I know nothing about the Hindu culture or where it came from. This short video very briefly summarized the concepts behind their beliefs and how their stories came about. I thought it was a simple explanation and it will help me process things a little differently.

As for the comic books..................I basically just chose two from titles for very non-related class reasons. The first one that sounded remotely interesting is Monkey Stories. I chose this one because my oldest son's nickname is Monkey (because he used to like to climb all over everything). This comic book has a collection of stories about monkeys. I thought out of all the comic books, this one might be more fun to read. It seems more light-hearted than the rest. For the second one, I chose was The Greedy Mother-In-Law. It doesn't have a summary of this title on the link provided, but I could help but laugh. Like, actually laugh out loud at this title. I can only imagine the types of stories in this comic book! I'd be interested to read more just solely based on title alone.

The image I chose below is fascinating to me. The more I look at traditional Indian art there is a whimsical feel to it. Their goal isn't to accomplish realism, but rather a sense of wonder. The colors are vibrant and the level of detail in a lot of the drawings is INSANE! There are so many small things to look at that to truly appreciate a drawing, you'd have to look at it for more than just a glance. The picture I chose here is one that I could look at for fifteen minutes and still not see everything there is to take in


Title: Krishna Narakasura
Source: Wikimedia

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah, just a quick note: NO WORRIES. When you miss a reading assignment and choose to do it later, that's great; you can count it as extra credit reading! So go ahead and do the Declaration for the Week 2 extra credit reading. So, I'm really glad you did this, and definitely go count that for Week 2 extra credit reading, which means you are all good on the points (they all go into the same total, so it doesn't matter what is regular reading and what is extra). :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul