Growth Mindset

Before this assignment, I had never heard of Carol Dweck. However, after looking up growth mindset, it is apparent she is well versed in this subject and has an abundant amount of information available on the world wide web.

If I'm being completely honest, I think I side more with the fixed-mind critics. I'm a bit skeptical of the effectiveness of this concept. I also think that it is hard to apply in fixed structures or matrix style evaluations. Last semester I was tasked with creating an inspiration/goals board and I really struggled with it. For me personally, I don't find quotes inspiring to do more. Now that I typed that out, it sounds super negative! Not my intention. However, I was raised in a home where failure was not an option, but if you did fail, you kept trying until you succeeded and that was the fuel you needed to keep going. I am also a very goal oriented person. With that mindset, i feel that it probably sets limitations. I have a goal in mind, I work towards achieving it, once it's achieved then I move on to the next one. I don't continue to dwell in whatever actions were required to get me from point A to point B. So in essence, I'm "stunting" my growth opportunity in that area.

I will say that it took me several years to figure out what type of learning works best for me. Some people are auditory learners while others are kinetic. I find that a mixture of visual and auditory learning styles are how I learn best. I have also found that once I complete an assignment, unless it relevant to a future assignment or test, I move on from it as if it doesn't exist. Probably not the best thing to admit about learning!

Although I'm skeptical about this concept, I am open to learning more about it. Maybe with more research and application, I will have a different opinion later on. I will say that is one thing I truly enjoy about learning. If you keep an open mind, you can really surprise yourself with how knowledge changes your mind. Maybe that's part of growth mindset? I'm not 100% on how all this works yet.

Growth Mindset
Source: flickr
I found this picture interesting. It's not a growth mindset, per say, but it does illustrate that people with fixed-brains such as myself see things in black and white. I think that's an accurate interpretation of this concept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall: Extraordinary Tales

Weird But Effective Introduction For Sarah

Week 12 Story: A Single Soul